Home » Blog » Paleo Diet » Paleo Diet Recipes » Paleo Chicken Recipes » Coconut Chicken Curry
Coconut Chicken Curry
This curry was so amazing I could have kept eating it until my stomach burst – luckily for me this time, I didn’t make enough for that to happen, but I definitely finished off every last drop!
The inspiration for this recipe came from Tyler Florence’s Spicy Chicken Coconut Curry (but I changed up the ingredients and cooking method a bit and made it not spicy so that I could drink every last drop comfortably!).
And what’s surprising about this curry recipe is that it’s really easy to make (unlike real Indian curries, which can take practically a day)!
If you love curries, then also check out my Paleo beef curry recipe and my Paleo fish curry recipe.
Coconut Chicken Curry Infographic – Please Pin
Start with some chicken breast and cut it up into cubes.
Saute the chicken breast in some ghee (ghee is a traditional Indian cooking fat – it’s basically butter without the milk solids). If you don’t have ghee handy, you can use butter or coconut oil to cook the chicken pieces.
Once the chicken has turned white on the outside, add in the coconut cream (this is the solid stuff from the top of a can of coconut milk – place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and the cream should form on the top in a thick layer) and the chicken broth.
Chop up some vegetables – I used some celery, carrots, and tomatoes – and add them into the curry.
Download Our Essential Paleo Pantry List For Free
Then add in some grated ginger and the curry powder. I used pre-blended garam masala powder that I had bought in the store, but you can also use regular curry powder.
Stir everything so that it mixes and then cook on a medium heat with the lid on for 40 minutes. Once the carrots are tender, add in the cilantro and minced garlic. Cook for 5 more minutes and then serve. Garnish with some fresh cilantro on top.
And don’t forget to check out my Paleo beef curry recipe and my Paleo fish curry recipe.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup of coconut cream (skim from the top of 1 refrigerated can (13.5oz) of coconut milk)
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- Saute the chicken in the ghee, butter, or coconut oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- When the outside of the chicken has all turned white, add in the coconut cream and the chicken broth and mix well.
- Add in the carrots, celery, and tomatoes.
- Add in the ginger and curry powder (or garam masala).
- Cook on medium heat with the lid on for 40 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add in the minced garlic and cilantro and salt to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 large bowl
Oh my gosh. I made this tonight. Eating it now actually. It is soooo good! Thank you so much for the recipe. It’s AMAZING!