- 16 Wellness Meats Wild-Caught Raw Brown Shrimp (approx. 1lb – these are pretty big shrimp)
- 1 or 2 cups of coconut cream (skim the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk – use 1 or 2 cans depending on how creamy and thick you want the soup)
- 1 quart (32 oz) chicken stock
- 3 large button mushrooms sliced (traditional recipe uses straw or shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, split down the center and then chopped into 2-inch long chunks
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated (traditional recipe uses thin slices of galangal)
- 1 small Thai chili (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce (I use this one)
- juice for 1/2 a lime
- salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat the chicken stock in a medium-sized pot and add in the lemongrass, ginger, chili, mushrooms, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the coconut cream and simmer for another 10 minutes until the coconut cream mixes in well.
- Taste the broth and add in salt to taste. Add in more fish sauce, lime juice, or coconut cream depending on how you like the soup.
- Add in the shrimp and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the cilantro as garnish.