For the cakes:
For the Chocolate Coconut Ganache:
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Mix together the ingredients for the cake.
- Line 2 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper (base and sides).
- Divide the cake batter between the 2 pans and bake for 30 minutes (check the cake is done by inserting a cocktail stick and making sure it comes out clean).
- While the cake is baking, mix together the ingredients for the chocolate coconut ganache and place in fridge to thicken.
- Mix together the ingredients for the chocolate frosting and refrigerate for approx. 15 minutes (it’s ok if you refrigerated it for too long).
- When the cakes are done, let them cool for at least 30 minutes (otherwise the ganache and frosting will melt on the cake!).
- If the tops of the cakes are not flat, then you can gently cut off the top of one of them to make it flatter.
- Spread ganache on one of the cakes and place the other cake on top to form the top layer.
- Stir the chocolate frosting gently with a fork to make it form a frosting consistency (if it’s too hard, then let it melt a bit at room temperature, or if it’s too liquidy, place it back in the fridge for a bit).
- Spread the frosting on the cake and add any additional decorations you want.