This recipe is slightly high maintenance, but it doesn’t disappoint! My whole family was ranting and raving about this for weeks. ~ Sydney
- 1-2 16oz pre-canned venison (if you don’t readily have canned venison, you can use 2-4lbs chuck roast or other meat of your choice) cook on low for 4-6 hours
For the Marinade: MAKE 24 HOURS AHEAD OF TIME (double this if you use 2 cans of venison)
- Make the marinade 24 hours ahead of time (see below).
- Cook the chuck roast if you do not have canned venison on hand (2-4 lb chuck roast on low in a crock pot for 4-6 hours or until cooked through, pour half of the prepared marinade over chuck roast while it cooks).
- If you’re using venison you’ve canned yourself, then when serving, place the venison along with the marinade you poured into the cans the night before in a skillet. Break up the venison pieces and heat until softened.
- Make your own burrito bowl with the barbacoa, a scoop of sweet potato rice (see recipe below), guacamole, sautéed veggies, and your favorite salsa over a bed of lettuce! Drizzle some marinade/sauce over the top as a dressing & enjoy!
- Simmer the apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and honey in a sauce pan until combined.
- Blend the vinegar and honey mixture, macadamia nuts, cilantro, garlic, onions, coconut sugar, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor until a pesto-like consistency is reached.
- Pour your ‘pesto’ into a bowl and stir in the avocado oil.
- If you’re cooking the meat, add half the marinade into the crock pot with the meat. If you’re using venison you’ve canned, then displace half of the residual juice in the venison can(s) and fill them with the marinade. Re-cap, and shake shake shake!! Place can(s) in refrigerator to get happy overnight. Store the remaining half of the marinade in a container to use as sauce when serving.