Not much beats a comforting bowl of low carb bolognese.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1 medium onion (110 g), peeled and chopped small
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), peeled and minced
- 14 oz (400 g) of ground beef
- 1 can (400 g) of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (240 ml) of beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 g) of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 zucchinis (360 g), spiralized or use a vegetable peeler to create noodle-like strands
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and increase the heat, cooking the beef until no longer pink.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beef broth and dried oregano to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, partially covered with the lid, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until all the liquid is cooked down. Remove the pan from the heat and adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Prepare the zucchini “noodles” by placing a dash of water into a large pan over high heat. Add the “noodles” to the pan and cook until all the moisture in the pan has evaporated and the zucchini are cooked through (this won’t take longer than a minute or two.) Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Divide the cooked zucchini “noodles” between 2 plates. Tip each plate with the bolognese sauce and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 706
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fat: 50 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 37 g