A deliciously lean chili sure to warm you up.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of coconut oil, to cook with
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of ground chicken (or use 4 chicken breasts and food process them)
- 4 slices of bacon (112 g)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 2 chili peppers, seeds removed and finely diced (optional)
- 1 can (400 g) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (170 g) of tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons (6 g) of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) of chili powder (or to taste)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced or finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the ground chicken and diced bacon in the coconut oil until the chicken is slightly browned. Add in the onions and saute until softened.
- Place the chicken, bacon, onions, peppers, mushrooms, chili peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and chili powder into a large pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for 45-50 minutes (the longer the better). Stir every 10 minutes to make sure nothing burns on the bottom.
- Lastly, add in the minced garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 5-10 more minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro or basil leaves if desired.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 453
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 30 g