- 5 lb (1.5 kg) butterflied whole chicken (keep the skin on)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil to marinate with
- 1 chili, diced or 1 teaspoon (1 g) chili powder (optional) [Omit for AIP]
- Juice and zest of 1/2 navel orange (save 2 wedges for serving with)
- 2 Tablespoons (20 g) garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) pepper [Omit for AIP]
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Marinate the chicken by vigorously rubbing in the olive oil, diced chili or chili powder, orange juice and zest, garlic powder, salt, pepper, all over and underneath the chicken skin. Be careful not to tear the skin. (Do this the night before on best results.)
- Put the marinated chicken on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden and the chicken is cooked. Take out and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving with orange wedges.