Home » Blog » Paleo Diet » Paleo Diet Recipes » Paleo Dessert Recipes » Paleo Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Paleo Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
When I’m making dessert in a hurry, I make cookies. When I’m baking for my immediate family or my friends, I make cake. But when I’m baking to impress, I turn to pie. Pie is a bit of a baking paradox. On the one hand, pie is rustic, comforting, homey dish. On the other hand, with crust and filling to master, pie is not as easy to tackle as many other desserts. If you love the idea of pie but you’re intimidated to try it in your own kitchen, never mind serve it to other people, fear not! We’re here to save the day with this Paleo coconut cream pie. It’s got everything you want in a pie, from a crisp crust to a creamy soft filling, but it takes less than an hour of hands on time to pull off. So, what are you waiting for? Your next dinner party is calling!
Coconut: from Trees to Flakes
Coconut is a staple of a Paleo diet, but do you know how the coconuts get from the tree to your plate? It starts when the coconuts are picked but that is only the beginning.
Once they arrive at the processing facility, the coconuts undergo a two-step peeling process. First, the fuzzy outer shell is removed, leaving behind the smooth brown layer that protects the coconut flesh. Once that is removed too, in the next step of the process, only the white flesh remains.
The coconut chips are then cut and left to dry. This ensures that the final product will be shelf stable, with no need to refrigerate.
When buying coconut flakes, avoid anything with sugar added. Also look for brands that use as few additives as possible.
You can also make your own using a vegetable peeler and a knife. It is a lot of work, but if you have a coconut you want to use up or if you haven’t been able to find suitable coconut flakes at your local grocery store.
3 Reasons Why This Pie is Perfect for a Dinner Party
- Two words: Make Ahead
- Packed with coconut flavor from the coconut milk, coconut cream, and the coconut flakes.
- Doesn’t “taste Paleo.” We all know how incredible the food can be for those following a Paleo diet, but your guests may not. If your friends are skeptical about low-carb baking, this Is a great recipe to prove them wrong!
Even More Paleo Pies
Why stop with coconut cream? There’s many more where that came from. Read on for just a taste of the many easy to make, Paleo-friendly pie recipes out there.
A show-stopping creamy dessert that will be sure to please any crowd.
For the base
For the filling
Making the base:
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Mix together all the base ingredients to form a dough. Press the dough into a greased pie dish. Bake for 10-12 min until slightly browned. Remove and allow to cool.
Making the filling:
- Dissolve the gelatin in the hot water and set aside to keep warm while you prepare the rest of the filling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut cream, coconut milk, and sweetener until free from lumps. Add the gelatin mixture. Stir well to combine and immediately pour the filling into the cooled pie dish and place in the fridge to set for several hours.
- To serve, garnish with coconut flakes and enjoy.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g