- 2 lb (1 Kg) smoked gammon (gammon is the raw pork leg meat)
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 cup salt
- Place all the ingredients in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, skimming off any foamy impurities. Reduce to a low simmer and half cover the pot with a lid (or use a parchment paper cartouche lid). Simmer for 90 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and allow the ham to cool in the liquid. (Check the interior of the ham reaches 155 F (68 C).)
- Once completely cooled, remove the ham from the liquid and pick off and discard the thick layer of visible fat.
- Slice thinly and enjoy with your favorite condiments or serve as part of a hearty breakfast (as pictured).
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 27 g