For the steak:
For the mushrooms:
- 12 white button mushrooms (120 g), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4–6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot flour (8 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
For the side salad:
- 2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- Season the steaks with salt and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a large pan and cook the steak to your liking, ensuring there is a nice, golden crust on the outside. Remove from the pan, season with salt and pepper and set aside to rest, covered.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the same pan (add in additional ghee if needed) over high heat until caramelized, adding the thyme leaves and garlic halfway through.
- Whisk the arrowroot powder and the coconut milk in a small bowl and add to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice the steak and serve topped with the creamy mushroom mixture and a simple side salad of lettuce, tomato and red onions.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 841
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 72 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 37 g