This recipe takes several days to make, but the results are worth it.
- 8.8oz (approx. 1/3 head) of Savoy cabbage (245 g), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons (23 g) of salt
- Sterilize your bowl, chopping board, and storage jar before you begin.
- Combine the cabbage and salt in a clean bowl. Set aside for about 3 hours.
- Using clean hands, gently squeeze the cabbage. Liquid will run off – do not discard.
- Tip the cabbage and liquid into your storage jar. Do not seal the jar – instead place muslin or cheesecloth over the top and secure with an elastic band. Leave to stand at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- When the sauerkraut is ready, you will notice the fermentation has turned the cabbage acidic. Store covered in the fridge once ready.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 12
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g