- sea salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 lb bone-in grass fed leg of lamb
- ½ cup medium diced carrots
- ½ cup medium diced celery
- ½ cup medium diced onion
- 6 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 cups red wine
- 8 fresh sprigs rosemary
- 6 garlic cloves whole and unpeeled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the lamb generously with salt.
- Heat the sauté pan over medium heat and add 2T of the olive oil and sear the lamb fat side down until medium brown. Continue to brown on all sides. Set it aside.
- Add all of the vegetables to the same sauté pan with the oil and the rendered juices from the lamb and lightly brown the vegetables over a low to medium heat.
- Pour the stock or water and the wine into the pan with the vegetables and reduce by a quarter for about 3-5 minutes.
- Place the vegetables and liquid into the pan and place the lamb, fat side up, on top. The liquid should go about half way up the lamb. You can add more stock or water if needed.
- Place the herbs on top and the garlic around it and drizzle the lamb with remaining olive oil. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 3 hours, until tender and the internal temperature is 145-150 degrees F.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes, then slice. In the meantime, strain the cooking jus from the vegetables. Serve the sliced lamb with the cooking jus.