Spicy Carrot Hash
It’s another evening after crossfit and the perpetual question of “what to eat” crosses my mind yet again! I had some tuna fish salad for lunch (packed in my handy pyrex containers), and now it was time to make a decision about dinner. I had ropa vieja (shredded beef) in the fridge, cooked the day before in the slow cooker (recipe here), but I wanted something to go with it. As I scanned the contents of my fridge, my eyes fell on the carrots. Carrot hash…simple…quick…yum (especially when spiced with both paprika and cumin)!
Place the carrots into a food processor with the shredding disc attachment and shred away!
Then, place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a frying pan and add a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger. Talk about aromatherapy! My entire apartment filled with the stimulating scent of ginger. Add in the carrots after you’ve finished enjoying the smell of ginger.
Let the carrots cook on a medium to high heat for around 10 minutes. Stir continuously to prevent it from burning! When the shredded carrots look pretty dry and don’t clump together much, add in the cumin seeds (2 teaspoons), paprika (2 tablespoons), and salt (to taste).
Serve with your favorite meat dish or just eat as a snack by itself.
- 6 medium sized carrots
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- salt to taste
- Shred the carrots using a food processor (with the shredding attachment).
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a frying pan and add in the ginger and carrots.
- Saute the carrots on a medium to high heat for around 10 minutes (stirring continuously) until the carrots look dry and do not clump together much.
- Add in the cumin seeds, paprika, and salt.
- Serve immediately.