Steak Medallions with Ginger Asparagus Mushroom Saute [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
This is a really easy meal, but it’s more exciting than a simple steak and sweet potato dinner. Plus, it’s a great way to eat some different vegetables like asparagus and mushrooms that you might not get a chance to cook regularly. The ginger and parsley in this dish really help to add flavor and the small amount of cherry tomatoes and diced onions add a touch of sweetness to the dish without adding too many carbohydrates for those on a ketogenic diet.
If you’re on AIP (Paleo autoimmune protocol) or sensitive to nightshades, then just omit the small amount of cherry tomatoes in this recipe.
Pan-Fried Steak Medallions Recipe – Step-by-step Instructions and Photos
Chop the asparagus shoots into slices. Dice the onion as well.
Chop the mushrooms (you can use any type of mushrooms available in your area).
Chop the ginger up.
Chop the parsley really well.
Chop the cherry tomatoes into halves.
Salt the steak on both sides. Place coconut oil into a frying pan and pan-fry the beef medallions. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the beef is cooked to your liking. If you prefer to use a different cut of beef, feel free. You can also grill the beef if you prefer. After the steak is done cooking, place it on a plate to rest while you make the asparagus saute.
Wash the frying pan and place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into it. Add in the chopped onions and cook until the onions turn translucent. Then add in the chopped asparagus shoots.
Add in the chopped mushrooms.
When the vegetables are pretty tender (after 3-4 minutes of sauting), add in the parsley, tomatoes, and ginger. Add salt to taste.
Plate the dish by splitting the asparagus saute in half and placing half on each plate. Then place the beef medallion on top of the saute.
Pinterest Image for Steak Medallions with Ginger Asparagus Mushroom Saute [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
- 2 beef medallions (approx. 1/2–3/4 lb or 500–750 g)
- 6 asparagus shoots, chopped into small slices
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved [omit for AIP]
- 2 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- Coconut oil to fry in
- Salt to taste
- Rub salt over the beef medallions (you can use a beef steak of your choice).
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a frying pan and pan-fry the beef medallions. Alternatively, you can grill the beef. In the frying pan, it only takes 2 minutes on each side for a medium rare level. Cook for longer if you prefer your steak medium or well done.
- Sit the beef on a plate as some of the liquid will drain out.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add in the chopped onions. Pan-fry the onions until they’re translucent. Then add in the asparagus and mushrooms. Saute until the vegetables are soft. Then add in the tomato halves, chopped parsley and ginger. Saute for a few extra minutes and serve with the beef on a new plate.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 33 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 31 g