- 1 lb pork spare ribs (get small ones if possible cut into 2-inch chunks) (you can use other meats if you prefer)
- 2 small red shallots, chopped into large chunks (or use 1 large yellow onion)
- 3–4 small lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 10 thick slices of galangal (or use ginger)
- 8 cups water
- 10 kaffir lime leaves (or use cilantro), tear them up
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Salt to taste
- Optional: chilis, green onions for garnish
- Place the pork spare ribs into a large pot of water and boil for 10 minutes. Pour out the liquid with the froth.
- Pour approx. 8 cups of new water into the pot with the ribs, and add in the shallots, lemongrass, galangal, and salt to the pot.
- Simmer on low heat with the lid on (so you don’t lose all the great soup) for 1 hour.
- Check the ribs are tender, then add in the kaffir lime leaves, (chilis if you want it spicy and if you’re not on AIP), fish sauce, the juice from 1 lime, and salt to taste.