- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Halve the acorn squash and remove the seeds. Then soften the inside of the squash by baking on a baking tray in the oven for 40 minutes at 400F (200C) or microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Cook the beef bacon tips in a pot until crispy.
- Boil the collard greens in a pot of boiling water for 40 minutes until tender.
- Scoop out the inside of the acorn squash when it’s tender, and place the remaining “bowl” made of the squash skin back into the oven to dry out. Note – don’t scoop too close to the skin so that the bowl will hold its shape. Place the soft scooped-out acorn squash flesh into the pot with the beef bacon and the collard greens.
- Add the orange and saffron (optional) to the pot and cook on a low heat until the acorn squash forms a mash consistency (5-10 minutes).
- Remove the acorn squash bowls from the oven and divide the “mash” into the 4 acorn squash bowls to serve.
- Serving Size: an acorn squash bowl