- 3 lbs flank steak
- 1 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (preferably fresh ginger)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onion or onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut the flank steak into manageable pieces if it’s not already cut so.
- Create the marinade using all the ingredients (except the steak).
- Place each piece of steak into a ziplock bag and divide the marinade equally between the bags.
- Seal the bags and marinate overnight if possible. I like to use olive oil if marinating overnight or melted coconut oil if only marinating for an hour at room temperature.
- Then simply grill them! You can use a meat thermometer to get the steak to the rareness you want. Typically, for medium rare, I grill it on a hot grill with the cover down 3 minutes on each side (internal temperature of the grill is 500-600F).
Coconut oil will solidify when the temperature drops – I don’t find this to be problematic if you cover the steak well with the marinade, but an alternative is to use olive oil, which works just as well.