This easy Italian dish will soon become a firm family favorite.
- 5 chicken drumsticks (with skin on) (625 g)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (55 g), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves (6 g) of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of red wine (or water)
- 20 black olives (60 g), pitted and sliced
- 1 can (400 g) of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of water
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C). Season the chicken with salt on all sides.
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to pan and brown on all sides until the skins are golden and crispy. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and saute until golden brown. Deglaze the pan with the red wine (or water) and continue to saute until all the wine cooks out.
- Add the sliced olives, diced tomatoes and ¼ cup water to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Place the chicken into an oven-friendly casserole dish and cover completely with the hot tomato mixture.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Season the dish with freshly ground black pepper and garnish with shredded basil before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 15 g