Deliciously tart but slightly sweet, these paleo cranberry bars are a delicious addition to your holiday table.
For the cranberry filling:
- 1 ½ cups (150 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup (120 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly-squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 Tablespoons (36 g) orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) tapioca flour (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) water (optional)
For the crust and crumble topping:
- 2 cups (220 g) almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) melted coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with parchment paper with the paper overhanging on the sides. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add the fresh or frozen cranberries, coconut sugar, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon stick and a pinch of salt to a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 7 to 9 minutes, using a fork to burst the cranberries, until the sauce is thick and jam-like. If needed, dissolve the tapioca flour with the water until smooth. Add the tapioca slurry to the filling, stirring constantly, until thick to your liking. Discard the cinnamon stick and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the crust by combining the almond flour, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and salt to form a crumbly dough. Reserve 1/2 cup (100 g) of the dough to use as the crumble topping and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the remaining dough into the prepared baking dish to press to make an even layer. Use a fork to prick the dough several times.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and prebake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the crust cool for 5 minutes.
- Evenly spread the cranberry filling over the crust and crumble the reserved dough over the filling.
- Return the baking pan to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. (The cranberry filling will become firm as it cools.)
- Remove from the baking pan and slice into 9 bars before serving. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container for 2 to 3 days.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 20 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g