- 1 lb of tilapia or other fish, cut into large chunks (approx 2/3-inch cubes) (defrost the fish if it’s frozen)
- 1 can (13.5oz) coconut cream (skim the solid part from a refrigerated can of full fat coconut milk)
- 2 cups of fish broth (or use chicken broth and add 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped into 1/2-inch long pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- Boil the carrots in a pot of water until they’re slightly tender.
- Pour out the water from the pot with the carrots and add in the fish broth (or the chicken broth with fish sauce).
- Add in the celery, tomatoes, coconut cream, curry powder or garam masala, and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, cilantro, and garlic. Add salt to taste.
- Then add in the pieces of fish, making sure they’re submerged in the liquid.
- Cook for 5 minutes (the fish should flake easily at that point) and serve. Try not to stir too much as it’ll break up the fish pieces.
- Serving Size: a large bowl