For the tomato sauce:
- 2 cans (400 g each) chopped tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons (4 g) dried oregano
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
For the Greek-style meatballs:
- To make the sauce, empty the can of chopped tomatoes into a pan, then fill the can with water and empty the water into the pan as well. Add the dried oregano and star anise and bring to a simmer over very low heat for 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed and stir in the mint. Keep the sauce warm over a low heat.
- To make the meatballs, mix the ground meat with the mint, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, form small meatballs from the mixture, ensuring the balls are tightly compacted to avoid them falling apart. Set aside in the fridge until the sauce is finished.
- When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the meatballs in two batches until golden and caramelized. Add the browned meatballs to the pan of warm sauce and allow to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to ensure the meatballs cook through. Serve with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fat: 36 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 21 g