- 2 medium eggplants (1000 g)
- 3 zucchinis (360 g)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced (110 g)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced (6 g)
- 34 white button mushrooms, finely diced (340 g)
- 1 lb of ground beef (450 g)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten-free tamari sauce or coconut aminos (30 ml)
- 1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds (14 g)
- 4 cups of spinach (120 g)
- Sea salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Cut the eggplant and zucchini along their length into long thin strips 1/4 -inch thick. Generously sprinkle sea salt over the strips and place on cooling racks placed on trays. Let sit for 1 hour, turning the pieces over every 20 min. After an hour, firmly pat each piece dry.
- While that is drying, heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic until softened. Add the diced mushrooms and ground beef, cooking until the beef has browned and all moisture released from the mushrooms has evaporated. Add the can of diced tomatoes, spinach, and tamari to the pan, cooking until all the liquid has evaporated from the mixture. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). In a baking dish, layer the eggplant slices, zucchini slices, and beef mixture in alternating layers. Add sesame seeds over the dish and bake in the oven covered with foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with torn basil leaves.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 12 g