- 1 red onion (110 g), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil (10 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (2 g)
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), peeled and finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (800 g), skinless and deboned
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano (2 g)
- 3 cups of chicken broth (720 ml)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (120 g), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tomato (45 g), chopped to garnish
- 1 large avocado (200 g), sliced to garnish
- cilantro, finely chopped to garnish
- 1/2 red chili pepper (7 g), seeds removed and finely chopped to garnish (optional)
- Finely chop the onion, bell pepper, and any garnishes. Dice the chicken. Set aside.
- Cook most of the onion (saving some for garnishing) in a pan with olive oil until soft. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper, and garlic and continue cooking until onion is caramelized.
- Add the onions, chicken, and oregano to the slow cooker. Cover with chicken broth and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 3 hours, adding the bell pepper approximately 30 minutes before finished. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and onion if desired. Serve warm.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 24 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 48 g