Creamy Asparagus Mash Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
This is a great side recipe in case you’re bored with sweet potato mash or cauliflower mash and want something a bit lighter and more refreshing.
It’s really easy to make, but you should blanch your asparagus shoots before pureeing it and saute the onions for a sweeter flavor. Blanching the asparagus and adding in the lemon juice will also give you a bright green color and a fresher taste.
This recipe is Paleo as well as low carb/keto-friendly, and AIP (autoimmune-friendly). So it’s great to serve as a side dish when you have family or friends with different diets.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Creamy Asparagus Mash Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
Dice the onions.
Chop the asparagus up into small pieces so that they will be easy to puree. Place the asparagus pieces into a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes and drain immediately.
Saute the diced onion in some coconut oil or avocado oil. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
Chop the parsley roughly.
Place all the ingredients (make sure to drain the asparagus well) into a blender.
Blend really well until a creamy mash forms.
Pinterest Image for Creamy Asparagus Mash Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
- 10 asparagus shoots, chopped and blanched (2 min)
- 1/4 onion, diced and cooked in coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Dash of pepper (omit for AIP)
- Saute the diced onions in coconut oil until they turn translucent.
- Blanch the asparagus pieces in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain immediately.
- Place the sautéed onions, blanched asparagus, coconut cream, parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper into a blender.
- Blend really well. Serve warm or cold.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g