- 1 lb beef round or other boneless cut, cut into 1-inch cubes (I like to use boneless short-ribs)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk (the solid part of a can of refrigerated coconut milk)
- 2 carrots, sliced (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 10 button mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil to cook in
- In a saucepan, saute the beef and onions in coconut oil on medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the beef is browned.
- Add the spices, coconut milk, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, and fish sauce. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour until the beef is tender.
- Add the chopped basil, garlic, ginger, and salt to taste and simmer for 10 more minutes.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 33 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 25 g