Paleo Chicken and Cherry Tomato Casserole Recipe
This dish is as pleasing to the eyes as it is to your stomach. It’s an impressive looking dinner to serve guests without a lot of preparation.
Tomatoes on a Paleo Diet
So many people look at diets as “taking things away.” I prefer to think about it as adding food – it’s just different and better for you.
While you’re probably well acquainted with tomatoes, you might not know all of the incredible health benefits they have.
The bright, vibrant red tomato is low in calories and high in water content. Although a nutritionist might label them a vegetable, they are ripened flower ovaries with seeds, otherwise known as fruits.
However you choose to classify them, though, they’re delicious and pair really well with chicken. The sweetness of the little cherry tomatoes is a perfect complement to the richness of the chicken and mushrooms.
But I digress. The cherry tomatoes lend flavor and nutrition. Tomatoes pack a quadruple punch of carotenoids, boasting lycopene, alpha- and beta-carotene, and lutein.
You want to consume carotenoids because they have been linked to protection against illness. Think eye problems and certain cancers.
Upping your tomato consumption could offer protective benefits from pancreatic cancer in particular. A Canadian study demonstrated a 31% reduction in risk for people with the highest intake of lycopene.
But wait – there’s more! Tomatoes also offer vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate and potassium, which most people don’t get enough of.
So grab a fork and eat up! Eating a serving of this paleo chicken and cherry tomato casserole might just be the healthiest move you make all day.
- 4 Tablespoons of avocado oil (30 ml), to cook with
- 8 chicken thighs (with skin on) (1.2 kg)
- 1 medium onion (110 g), peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic (9 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh rosemary (3 g), chopped
- 30 white button mushrooms (300 g), halved
- 30 cherry tomatoes (510 g)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add avocado oil to a large frying pan and cook the chicken thighs. Cook with the skin-side down until it’s browned and crispy. Then turn the chicken thighs around and cook for a few minutes more. Place chicken thighs into a large baking dish. Keep the oil in the frying pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, and chopped rosemary to the frying pan with the leftover fat. Cook on moderate heat until the onions are soft. Add in the mushrooms for a few minutes and then add everything to the baking dish with the chicken.
- Place the dish into the oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, drizzle a little olive oil over the cherry tomatoes.
- Open the oven and remove the dish. Place the cherry tomatoes into the dish, then return the dish to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as well as additional rosemary sprigs and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 567
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 42 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 35 g