Paleo Chicken and Veggie Casserole Recipe
The best thing about a casserole isn’t the hands off cooking method or even the satisfying taste, it’s the one dish meal. Casseroles are the hero of weeknight dinners because with a good casserole recipe, you don’t need anything else but plates and silverware. Just check out this Paleo chicken and veggie casserole. It’s got protein! It’s got vegetables! It’s the whole package in one baking dish! It starts with juicy chicken breast, but that is only the beginning. There is spinach, carrots, cauliflower, and more, all wrapped up in a lightly spiced coconut cream sauce. And did I mention it takes under an hour to make from start to finish? With big flavor and a small prep time, this casserole is sure to become a new weeknight favorite in no time!
Building the Perfect Paleo Casserole
Like any recipe, the trick to a good casserole is balance. Each ingredient plays a different role. Understanding the building blocks of a good casserole is key if you wish to substitute ingredients, or just to become a better cook. Read on to find out the role of different ingredients in this casserole recipe.
- Chicken – Protein, this is the centerpiece of the meal.
- Coconut cream – Sauce, coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk, evoking cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, which was common in many casseroles I ate as a kid.
- Spinach, carrots, and onion – These veggies all add color, nutrients and flavor. They are quite different from each other in texture and flavor which creates variety in every bite.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower serves two roles. It’s a veggie like the others but it also takes the place of a starch like rice or potatoes.
- Spices and herbs – Flavor is a must in any dish.
Spice Swap: Mix Up Your Casserole Flavor
Whether you don’t like cumin or you just want to mix it up, here are a few spices and herbs that could be swapped out in this recipe for a new twist.
- Cayenne pepper
- Curry powder
More Delicious Paleo Recipes Featuring Chicken Breast
I always have frozen chicken breast in my freezer because it is such a versatile ingredient, perfect for quick dinners any night of the week. Read on for inspiration on how to make chicken breast the star of your next dinner menu. We’ve got something for everyone!
Or check out our list of more than 40 Paleo chicken breast recipes here!
This easy chicken casserole will quickly make its way into your dinner rotation.
- 3 Tablespoon (45 ml) coconut oil, to cook with
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup (240 ml) of coconut cream (from the tops of 2 refrigerated cans of coconut milk)
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) cumin powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet. Saute the diced chicken breast until slightly browned.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients and combine completely. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin powder, to taste. Pour the chicken mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 18 g