Paleo Chili Orange Roasted Chicken Recipe [Keto, Low Carb, AIP]
I never realized just how easy roasting your own chicken could be until recently.
This method of roasting chicken produces beautiful golden crispy skin each time while tender juicy meat.
Enjoy for a really easy Paleo dinner that will impress family and guests.
Paleo Chili Orange Roasted Chicken Recipe
You can vary the spices and seasoning each time of course, but there are 2 huge tricks to this recipe:
1. Make sure to add olive oil and sufficient salt and rub it over the chicken skin. That’s what helps makes it crispy.
2. Butterfly your chicken (ask your butcher to do this to save you time) or you can do it yourself pretty easily with a good pair of Kitchen sissors. But this helps cut down on cooking time!
Prepare your seasoning mix and cut your orange into slices. You really only need 1-2 wedges. Adding the orange zest will really help to enhance the orange flavor, but you can omit it if you want to save time.
Drizzle olive oil over the butterflied chicken and rub the salt and spice mix into it well.
Step 3 (optional):
You can fire up your broiler and crispy up the skin even more if you like it extra crispy. Then just serve with leftover orange wedges. You can add a side salad, some roasted vegetables, or a sweet potato mash.
Pinterest Image for Paleo Chili Orange Roasted Chicken Recipe [Keto, Low Carb, AIP]
- 5 lb (1.5 kg) butterflied whole chicken (keep the skin on)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil to marinate with
- 1 chili, diced or 1 teaspoon (1 g) chili powder (optional) [Omit for AIP]
- Juice and zest of 1/2 navel orange (save 2 wedges for serving with)
- 2 Tablespoons (20 g) garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) pepper [Omit for AIP]
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Marinate the chicken by vigorously rubbing in the olive oil, diced chili or chili powder, orange juice and zest, garlic powder, salt, pepper, all over and underneath the chicken skin. Be careful not to tear the skin. (Do this the night before on best results.)
- Put the marinated chicken on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden and the chicken is cooked. Take out and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving with orange wedges.