Paleo Zucchini Avocado and Mackerel Spring Salad Recipe
Angela is the writer behind Imperfectly Paleo. Based in the UK, Angela is passionate about Real Food, Health and Fitness. You can also find her on Instagram posting delicious dishes.
I am eating my way through a bowl of this as I type, and I can’t help smiling – it is such a happy dish with the essence of spring in a bowl.
This salad was whipped up in under 10 minutes and requires very little prep – handy given builders have invaded my house this week and turned off the water supply! It is loaded with good fats from the avocado and mackerel and plenty of protein from the mackerel and crunchy nuts. The leftover thyme roast butternut squash cubes which were sitting in the fridge are satisfyingly sweet and show that it is always worth roasting a few extra veggies for dinner for quick lunch options the following day. We have lots of pretty edible borage flowers in the garden at the moment which taste a little like cucumber. Not only do they look amazing but they add a fresh lightness to the dish.
*Option to omit nuts to make it Nut-free, or omit the chili flakes if intolerant.
- 1 small courgette, washed, dried and julienned (or spiralised)
- 3/4 tin mackerel fillets (approx 85g), drained and roughly flaked into large chunks
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- cold roast butternut squash cubes, approx 10
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Small handful cashew nuts
- Red chili flakes, a small sprinkle
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: borage flowers to garnish (and eat!)
- Lay julienned courgette between sheets of paper towels and gently pat dry to remove any excess moisture.
- Season courgette with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the courgette on a plate or wide diameter bowl.
- Scatter over butternut squash and avocado cubes, followed by the mackerel chunks.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour the whisked dressing evenly over the courgette, avocado, squash and mackerel.
- Scatter cashews over the top and sprinkle the chili flakes before finally garnishing with borage flowers, if using them.
- Serve immediately.