Home » Blog » Paleo Diet » Paleo Diet Recipes » Paleo Crockpot and Slow Cooker Recipes » Slow Cooker Paleo Jerk Chicken
Slow Cooker Paleo Jerk Chicken
The word, “jerk” originates from Spanish words meaning dried meat (hence the food beef jerky). So jerk chicken, which is a popular dish in Jamaica (see photo below), is made with a spicy, dry rub.
Although this dish is traditionally grilled, it’s actually much easier in the slow cooker! Just rub the spices on the chicken and cook away.
Download Our Essential Paleo Pantry List For Free
In case you’re wondering what real jerk chicken looks like when it’s cooking, here’s a photo I took in Jamaica:
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes?
We compiled a giant list of our favorite 144 Paleo slow cooker/crockpot recipes from around the web! You can get the entire list by clicking here.
- Mix all the spices together in a bowl to make a rub for the chicken. If you don’t want your chicken to be spicy, then leave out the cayenne pepper and instead add in more onion powder, but note that the paprika will still make it slightly spicy.
- Wash the chicken meat in cold water briefly. Place the washed chicken meat into the bowl with the rub, and rub the spices onto the meat thoroughly – try to get it under the chicken skin if you can. The wings and drumsticks work well here because you can rub the spices under the skin easily.
- Place each piece of chicken covered with the spices into the slow cooker (no liquid required).
- Set the slow-cooker on medium or low heat (325F if your slow cooker has a temperature controller), and cook for 5-6 hours or until the chicken meat falls off the bone (slow cooker times can vary dramatically).
- You can serve the chicken with the bone on or take the bones out since the meat falls off so easily.
- Serving Size: 2-3 pieces of chicken
We love this dish – we’ve made it a couple of times now and had it with a massive salad on the side. It’s so easy, my boyfriend will prep it before work – put the crock pot on low and we’ve got a kick ass dinner when we get home 9 hours later!