Watermelon Feta Rosemary Salad (Primal Recipe)
I live in a predominantly Greek area, so there’s an absolute abundance of great feta. Unfortunately, I’ve never made use of this great product. Until today! Cheese (or any diary product) is not great on a paleo diet, but I like to indulge once in a while!
Again, this is a simple recipe, which took me around 15 minutes to prepare and make. The ingredients are also few and simple:
- 1/4 watermelon, cubed (750g of watermelon cubes)
- 1/2 lb of feta cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Start with the watermelon. I always think picking a good ripe watermelon is tough – I’m of the patting school so you’ll see me picking up all the watermelons in the store and giving them a good pat. What I’m doing is listening to the sound the watermelon makes when I pat it. You want a crisp but full sound that’s not too deep. Honestly, it just takes a lot of trial and error and a lot of bad watermelons before you eventually kind of get it. Even now I still pick some bad watermelons occasionally!
However, here is an excellent one:
Cut the watermelon into quarters and then 1 inch slices and then into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubes into your salad bowl.
Then cut the feta into small cubes (1/2 inch). My local Greek supermarket had a wide selection of fresh feta, and the assistant there helped me pick out a not too salty but sharp feta (it was called Parnasos feta). The cheese wasn’t too crumbly, which was great because it meant the cheese didn’t disintegrate when I tossed the salad.
Place the feta and watermelon cubes in the salad bowl.
Now for the rosemary. Most watermelon salads seem to use mint in them, but I’ve found rosemary (and oregano also works) to be an even better complement. There’s a faint minty freshness and taste to the rosemary as well as the stronger taste that I can only describe as rosemary! Fresh rosemary works really well here. Simply strip a few leaves from the herb and chop it up really finely. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the finely chopped herb into the salad bowl.
Now, all that’s left is to toss the salad with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar. If the feta you’re using isn’t salty at all, then you can also add a bit of salt to the salad. Perfect for the summer!
- 1/4 of a large watermelon (or 750g or 1.5lbs of watermelon cubes)
- 1/2 lb of feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- Cube the watermelon if it’s not already done so. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Cube the feta cheese if it’s not already done so. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place the watermelon and feta cheese cubes into a large salad bowl. Add the finely chopped fresh rosemary, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.
- Toss the ingredients together well.