Home » Blog » Paleo Diet » Paleo Diet Recipes » Paleo Liver Recipes » Blueberry Spicy Pepper Calf Liver Saute
Blueberry Spicy Pepper Calf Liver Saute
Liver has never been top of my favorite foods list!
And it most definitely isn’t top of Jeremy’s list. But, it is one of the most nutrient-dense foods around, and we try to eat it when possible.
To help us eat it more frequently, I’ve been experimenting with making liver taste more delicious (i.e., less like liver!). I hope one day to appreciate the taste of liver by itself, but for now, masking the liver taste is crucial for us.
This easy sauté combines spicy peppers with sweet blueberries for a savory dish that’s really bursting with flavor. I accidentally made it too spicy one time, and I have to say, I definitely forgot that there was liver in the dish that time (my mouth was simply on fire)! So, don’t make it too spicy if you’re a wuss like me.
You can use any type of liver for this dish, but recently, I’ve been buying this frozen calf liver from Whole Foods made by Strauss (it comes as 4 separately packaged slices in a 1lb box). It’s just easy to use and comes from free-raised calf.
Step-by-Step Recipe with Photos
Defrost the liver and chop into small cubes.
Chop some Swiss chard, peppers, and green scallions as well.
Saute the scallions in some coconut oil and add the liver. Then add in the blueberries, followed by the swiss chard and peppers.
Saute until the peppers are soft. Add salt to taste and serve.
What’s your favorite way of eating liver?
Let me know in the comments below how you like to eat liver. I also love hiding liver in my raspberry chili recipe (here).
- 1/2 lb calf liver (or other liver), defrosted and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon scallions (green onions chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup Swiss chard, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup bell peppers and spicy peppers (use more spicy peppers and fewer bell peppers if you like it spicy and vice versa), diced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil to cook with
- salt to taste (I’ve really started to like this Real Salt)
- Add the coconut oil to a pan on medium heat.
- When the coconut oil is melted, add in the scallions followed by the liver.
- Cook for a few minutes so that the liver starts to brown.
- Add in the blueberries, followed by the swiss chard, and peppers.
- Saute until the peppers are soft.
- Add salt to taste.
Thank you for this: I have a similar aversion, but now daring to add liver to my shopping basket, and looking forward to trying this recipe with high hopes of being able to finish and enjoy the meal! 😉