Home » Blog » Paleo Diet » Paleo Diet Recipes » Paleo Breakfast Recipes » Paleo Bacon Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Paleo Bacon Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Salty and savory flavors combine in this paleo bacon shrimp and grits recipe. The coconut ‘grits’ have a familiar texture and are sugar free and gluten free to boot.
Make sure you serve these grits right away so they retain their signature texture.
How I Made This Paleo
Bacon is fine. Shrimp is good. But the paleo police will undoubtedly be after you if you try to pass off regular grits as paleo nutrition.
Grits are a porridge made of ground corn. While some may try to pass corn off as a healthy vegetable, it’s also a grain, and not that great for you. There are a lot of other foods that give you more bang for your nutritional buck.
OK, so now that grits (as we know them) are out of the picture, what will take their place? I found the solution in a fairly unexpected ingredient: coconut.
This paleo recipe replicates the texture of grits with a mixture of desiccated coconut and thick coconut cream. The result is a chunky-yet-smooth concoction that doesn’t look too far off from the original.
They taste delicious, although to be honest you probably wouldn’t confuse these grits for the corn-based kind. They’re lovely in their own way.
Make sure you satisfy the carnivores in your life by serving your paleo shrimp and grits with these Chicken and Apple Sausages.
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 3 oz small mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 9 oz (255g) uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 oz (200 g) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup (40 g) desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup (30 g) crushed almonds (food process whole almonds slightly)
- 1 green onion, sliced, for garnish
- Cook the diced bacon until crispy and set aside.
- Then cook the mushrooms and garlic in the bacon fat.
- Add in the shrimp and cook until they’re pink (add in some olive oil if there’s not enough oil in the pan). Squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the ‘grits’, gently heat the coconut cream in a small pan. At the same time, in a clean, dry pan, toast the desiccated coconut over a low-medium heat until golden and fragrant. (This only takes a few seconds – so keep your eye on it!) Add the toasted coconut and the crushed almonds to the warm coconut cream and mix well to combine.
- Serve the ‘grits’ immediately and top with the shrimp mushroom mixture. Garnish with the bacon bits and green onion slices.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 17 g