These fresh tacos are refreshing and surprisingly easy to throw together.
For the soft tacos
- 1 cup (112 g) of coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons (32 g) of psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) of baking soda
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium egg
- 2/3 cup (135 g) of lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) of olive oil, divided, additional for cooking
For the fish
- 14 oz (400 g) of white fish fillets, skin removed and deboned
- 2 Tablespoons (14 g) of coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil, divided
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) of Paleo Mayonnaise
- 4 reserved soft tacos
- Soft lettuce leaves
- Reserved cooked fish
- 1/4 medium red onion (28 g), thinly sliced
- Small handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- For the soft taco shells, in a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and salt. In a separate small bowl, combine the egg, lukewarm water and 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine well with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal-sized portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten between two sheets of baking parchment paper, about the size of a small plate. Remove the top layer of parchment paper and cut the outer edges of the dough to create a circular shape.
- In a nonstick pan, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of olive oil over medium-high heat and gently flip the dough into the pan, removing the remaining parchment paper. Cook for several minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Once the taco shell is fully cooked, remove from the pan and set aside. Repeat the process with the remaining 3 uncooked taco shells.
- For the fish, cut the filets into smaller pieces and evenly coat on all sides with coconut flour and salt, to taste.
- Add 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil to a clean pan over medium-high heat. In batches, add the fish to the pan and fry and fry until golden and cooked-through. Remove the fish from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the process until all of the fish is cooked.
- Make the lime mayonnaise by finely grating the zest of one lime into the Paleo Mayonnaise and stir to combine. Spread 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of the lime mayo onto each taco shell.
- To finish assembling the tacos, place the soft lettuce leaves and top with the fried fish. Add the thinly sliced red onion and chopped fresh cilantro leaves. If desired, squeeze a little lime juice over the tacos before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 25 g