Paleo Lemon Ghee Roast Chicken Recipe
Lemon chicken varies wildly around the world. This paleo lemon ghee roast chicken recipe adds just the right amount of tang to the juicy chicken.
Lemon Chicken Around the World
While this paleo take on lemon chicken is roasted, many countries around the world deep-fry lemon chicken.
In Canada, a Chinese-food style version of lemon chicken is deep fried and covered with a sweet lemon sauce. Similarly, in Australia and New Zealand they coat the chicken in batter, fry it, and drizzle lemon sauce over the dish.
In France, you might encounter lemon chicken prepared with Dijon mustard. Over in Italy you start getting closer to this recipe. There, lemon chicken is a whole roasted chicken cooked in white wine, thyme, and lemon juice.
In America, Italian lemon chicken is often prepared with capers.
Making Lemon Chicken Paleo
Paleo lemon chicken isn’t much of a departure from some of the “regular” lemon chicken recipes. One difference is using ghee instead of butter.
Ghee, or clarified butter, is paleo and delicious. It has the added bonus of being shelf stable. You can learn more about ghee here.
Additionally, some non-paleo recipes call for flour and/or cream, which I will avoid in this recipe.
More Paleo Chicken Recipes
There’s no shortage of paleo chicken recipes, but sometimes you just want to try something different. Here is my ultimate list of chicken recipes for your clean-eating paleo lifestyle.
- 1 whole chicken (4 lb or 2 Kg), remove giblets
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) ghee
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Combine salt and lemon zest and rub all over the chicken.
- Salt the inside of the chicken and stuff the 2 lemon halves inside along with 1/4 cup of ghee.
- Rub the rest of the ghee on the outside of the chicken.
- Place into a roasting pan. Place the lemon slices around the chicken in the pan.
- Roast for 105 minutes. Check with a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken meat is 165 F (74 C).
- If you chicken is bigger or smaller, you will need to adjust the cooking time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and put up an aluminum tent around the pan to keep the heat and juices in. Rest the chicken for around 10 minutes. Then slice and enjoy!
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 43 g