- 2 duck breasts (770 g), skin-on; deboned
- Salt and pepper to rub on the duck breasts
- 4 slices fresh orange, grilled to serve with
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Zest from 1 orange (strips tied in a muslin parcel)
- 3 pcs. star anise (tied in the same above-mentioned muslin parcel)
- 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot flour (8 g)
- ¾ cup (180 ml) chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) marmalade
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Use a sharp knife to score the duck skin and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the duck breast skin-side down in a hot skillet or frying pan (no oil is needed because the duck skin fat will render).
- Cook for around 5-6 minutes until the skin is crispy and well browned. Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes to brown all sides of the breast. Remove the breasts from the pan and place on a rimmed baking tray. Cook in the oven for 5-6 minutes (it should be pink in the middle still when you slice the duck breast).
- Don’t pour out the duck fat from the pan. Add in the 4 orange slices to the pan and grill on high heat for a few minutes. These will be used for garnish later. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add the onions to the pan and cook until caramelised. Add some olive or avocado oil to the pan if additional oil is needed.
- Add the orange juice to the pan as well as the muslin parcel containing the strips of orange zest and star anise. Pour the chicken stock into the pan as well and cook for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Strain the sauce through a mesh to remove the onions. Open the muslin bag and place the orange zest strips and star anise back into the sauce. Cook gently. Whisk the arrowroot with 3-4 Tablespoons of cold water. Add to the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes to thicken. Lastly, stir in the marmalade.
- Serve the duck with the sauce and garnish with the grilled orange garnishes and parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 921
- Sugar: 17 g
- Fat: 58 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 67 g